Sunday, September 16, 2007

Toyota: Highlander "Crossover" my ass.

Toyota wants you to believe that the Highlander has suddenly become a "crossover". Now a crossover is kind of a made up category anyway, but the generally accepted definition is a small car-based SUV. Really just a wagon, at least as far as the Subaru Outback is a wagon.
Technically, I believe the Highlander is car-based (Camry platform, I think), but it's still the same vehicle Toyota sold as a Medium-Large SUV this time last year. It's bigger than the RAV4, which is already a fairly large vehicle, definitely at the larger end of the crossover segment.
At first I thought Toyota was trying pull a fast one on us. But then I checked out the Edmunds.com crossover section.
39 2008 Vehicles.
MDX
Q7
Buick Enclave
Hyundai Veracruz
Jeep Commander
Mazda CX-9
and of course,
Toyota Highlander

Probably without exception, these were SUVs at some point in their lives.

No comments: